What kind of emotions have you seen at the point of diagnosis of people with diabetes and how do you deal with them?

Many patients hold on to these emotions, so it is essential that educators recognize this and help them cope with the differing emotional stages.

The diagnosis is often shocking, and the most common reaction to it is anger. Anger then can lead to an attitude that may end in either fight or denial. Many people feel a great loss at the moment they realize that diabetes is incurable and requires intense therapy and management. Every newly diagnosed individual raises a question: Why me?

The process of diabetes education needs to consider the psychological impact that this chronic disease has on the individuals, as well as the interdisciplinary diabetes management team who also needs to deal with it. The emotional impact that the diagnosis may have on the family and the community of the person with diabetes is also something to take into consideration.

What kind of emotions have you seen at the point of diagnosis of people with diabetes and how do you deal with them?

I have seen the stage of Denial.Its a very delicate stage that every person with diabetes is dealing with. Denial comes from the fact that the person thinks that he/she cant do things like the other persons can, or is a result of the question: why me? The Denial leads the person to do unwise choices that will result an impact,mostly negative,in persons health. In my opinion to deal with Denial, we must explain to the new-diagnosed person what is diabetes,surround the person with a possitive empowerment enviroment and mostly to not judge them about their choices,but make them think obout that.