Continuous glucose monitoring

Traditional forms of glucose monitoring provide some information for achieving glycemic goals, but can be insufficient for intensive management. Continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) provides immediate, ongoing feedback that the user can apply towards reaching desired goals.

The CGM system uses a tiny sensor inserted under the skin to check glucose levels in tissue fluid and display updated glucose information every few minutes. The system also produces trend graphs and alarms to warn the user of pending high or low glucose levels. CGM serves as a valuable learning tool, showing patients the immediate impact of lifestyle and medicinal decisions to improve glucose variability.

Do you think the additional information provided by CGM supports the self-management of diabetes?

I moved onto a CGMS and then a pump after developing hypo-unawareness and would like to add two comments:

1. Having the data to hand is of great potential value. Identifying trends and learning from them helps blood glucose management. As said elsewhere, the pump is an additional tool to use with the data.

2. I recently learned how to live without it once again and with this reminded myself how important it is to be an active participant in the process. That is to say the risk of becoming a “lazy” “slave” to the device is real. For technical reasons my CGMS became inoperable for a few days. Initially I was scarred but soon realised I did not have to be scared, I just had to become more proactive.

In conclusion, it has been not far short of a life saver for me. I narrowly avoided a very serious accident when I had a hypo in a very busy street, right in front of a bus. After that I got the CGM and then the pump. It is a great asset, but like most technology, we need to avoid becoming de-skilled.